Let’s set aside the fact that a large part of the population has given up on email. Many if not most people in their 20’s pretty much stick to text and Facebook. Other people of all ages have become hyper-sensitive to the wide variety of emails that may or may not be “spam”. So the real question is about how to use the current state of affairs to create an effective online marketing presence for your business.
There is a fundamental problem with thinking that email marketing is “better” than social media marketing. They both have strengths and weaknesses. These characteristics make them great partners but in no way are they alternatives for each other.
- Elicits an immediate response.
- Easy to implement and maintain using resources like Constant Contact
- It’s great that the effect is so quick but it is completely over in a few days.
- Anti-spam mentality is so sensitive that there will always be “Do not write” responses to any list
- The effectiveness is completely reliant on the quality of the mailing list
Facebook (Social media) marketing:
- Will produce pretty much forever since everyone seeing your messages has opted in.
- Is viral by nature so there is a built-in mechanism that increases the number of people seeing your messages
- Takes time to establish a number of followers
- Requires good content generation on a timely basis
- Requires giving a value to interest new followers
The two, when working together, can overcome the shortcomings of the other and give your business a coordinated online marketing approach.
Contact me to begin planning how to achieve this for your business.